Friday, January 28, 2011

Mapping the Mapless

I can't say that I've ever had the need to use a map before. I'm a person who very much so enjoys routine; I like going to the same coffee shop every morning, when I'm not at school I'm driving to work, and I take a bus when I am going into Edmonton. I always know exactly where I'm going and how to get there, so maps are not usually necessary. I also have bad eyes so when I am travelling I don't get stuck with the job of navigator because staring at the tiny interwoven roads gives me a headache.
This kind of illustrates my previous opinion of maps; They are just visual tools that make me go cross eyed. I never attached any kind of deeper or creative meaning to them because I've never spent much time on them. Seeing the different ways people have mapped concepts, issues and locations really broadens my view and understanding of creative cartography.
The Map of Edmonton that I enjoyed exploring the most was the Edmonton Crime map, it was interesting seeing the different areas and neighborhoods and it gave me an understanding of how big and diverse this city is. Some maps that I thought would be interesting to see would be a festival map. Edmonton is a festival city so mapping out the different features of each event would really demonstrate their excitement and attraction. Using a sound map for the Fringe would probably be extremely interesting to use to experience it.
When I Look back at my first blog post about my experiences in Edmonton, I think that I could very easily map where I go. My map would just include Whyte Ave and the University area but I'm hoping to expand that because my knowledge of Edmonton is a bit sad.

1 comment:

  1. Love the idea of a festival map! I wonder what maps the different festivals already provide? Or whether there's such a map on either the city or province's website?

    ReplyDelete